Clarion University Upward Bound Program
Clarion University’s Upward Bound program continues the proud tradition of providing students with year-round academic support and enrichment. Despite current restrictions, TRIO Upward Bound continues to operate.
Upward Bound (UB) is funded by the US Department of Education through a competitive grant. The program is designed to encourage and support students—enhancing academic skills while providing the motivation necessary for success throughout their high school and college careers, as well as everyday life.
Upward Bound is available to selected high school students (grades 9 through 12) who meet eligibility criteria established by the U.S. Department of Education and who attend the following high schools in Western Pennsylvania: Allegheny-Clarion Valley, Farrell, Oil City, Punxsutawney, Redbank Valley, Sharon and Union.
UB participants receive assistance and counseling about standardized testing, educational options, career possibilities, postsecondary school selection, academic coursework and overcoming adversity to succeed in college and in life. Monthly Campus Days, academic counselor meetings, and after-school meetings with their learning coordinator (teacher or counselor in their home district) are all components that are still occurring virtually, in person or by phone.
Upward Bound has immediate openings. Students interested in joining Upward Bound must meet the following requirements:
• Currently be in Grades 9, 10 or 11 at one of the seven target high schools: A-C Valley, Farrell, Oil City, Punxsutawney, Redbank Valley, Sharon, or Union
• Have an interest in pursuing an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree
• Be classified as low-income and/or first-generation (or have an identified barrier) based on regulations provided by the U.S. Department of Education
• Register for and take standardized tests (such as the PSAT, SAT and/or ACT) and apply to colleges or universities during their senior year
• Participate in after-school, in-school, Campus Day, and summer activities (Stipends are available.)
• Be open to new cultural, social, educational, and recreational experiences
• Complete an Upward Bound application available directly at bit.ly/UBClarionApp, your guidance office, or by calling the Upward Bound office at 814-393-2342.
Those submitting applications will be contacted by a member of the UB team for interview purposes and further discussion of the federal program and available opportunities. There is no cost associated with this federal educational opportunity program.